Friday, June 27, 2008

Hitting the Bars


I'm not a baker. I don't claim to be a baker. I burn cookies. My breads are doughy in the middle. For those of you who may think I'm perfect, I've uncovered my (one) flaw.

I recently was invited to a cookbook release party for Dana Slatkin's, The Summertime Anytime Cookbook. Amongst the fantastic recipes that adorn this creative and thoughtful book, is a no bake dessert recipe that will leave your guests singing your praises. I made these a day ahead and just wrapped them in saran wrap on the counter (uncut) and cut with a hot knife the next day. They'll last up to a week in an airtight container.


Peanut-Butterscotch Crunch Bars
makes 16 bars

1/2 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup smooth, salted peanut butter
6 cups Special K cereal
1 cup milk chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Lightly grease a 9x12 inch baking dish.

In a large saucepan over low heat, dissolve the sugar into the corn syrup, being careful not to let the mixture boil.

Dissolve the peanut butter into the sugar mixture, turn off the flame, add the crushed cereal, and mix well.

Spread the cereal mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.

Over a double boiler or in a microwave, melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips together. Spread the topping over the cereal mixture and let it stand at room temperature until firm, about 1 hour. Cut into 2x3 inch bars.

3 comments:

Darby said...

These are absolutely, ridiculously delicious desserts. i am not kidding, i probably ate 5 of them at Jaimey's housewarming. make them. make them now.

Melissa said...

hey, i am going to make these, but i was wondering- did you measure 6 cups of crushed cereal? or did you measure 6 cups of Special K and then crush them?

Jaimey said...

Hey, Melissa! When I made this recipe I doubled it and just poured one box (about 11 cups) of cereal into the peanut butter/syrup mixture and then by mixing it together, it crushed up the cereal. I think it would work either way - if you crushed and then measured, or just measured and crushed. It's up to you whether you want smoother looking bars, or chunkier bars. Let me know how they turn out!